COLLEGE SENIOR San Ildefonso
The façade was built in 1537 by Rodrigo Gil de Hontañón, architect of the cathedrals of Salamanca and Segovia, was finished in 1553 remain the same surveyor Pedro de la Cotera. In its elegant decor worked the most skilled carvers of the time and forged his admirable bars teachers Toledo Cathedral Francisco de Villalpando and Ruiz Díaz del Corral. It retains the Patio de Santo Tomás de Villanueva and Philosophers and Trilingual. The University Chapel and Auditorium are the only two buildings of the College built in the days of its founder. The Scholastic Auditorium or Theatre, located in the western corridor of the Patio Trilingual, was the place to the imposition of degrees and where academic solemn acts took place. The Chapel of San Ildefonso, is one of the most significant examples of so-called 'style Cisneros'. The plaster of the walls, which blend harmoniously Gothic, Mudejar and Renaissance decorative motifs, and coffered ceilings, polychrome decorated with tracery, give the whole a great sumptuousness and make this building one of the finest exponents of our first Renaissance.
MONASTERY OF SAN BERNARDO
For Cistercian nuns founded by Cardinal Sandoval y Rojas in 1617. Its facade corresponds to the classical model of Baroque complutense which successfully combines the use of brick as a building material stone covers the central niche with the image of the holder, large shields founder and fascia that covers the different registration bodies. The church, oval plant has six chapels, of which the diagonal repeated on a smaller scale model of the large central area, also covered by a large elliptical dome. Inside stands the magnificent baldachin and altar painting collection Angelo Nardi. The top of the building houses the excellent Museum of Religious Art Monastery. The construction of this large convent building was, from its inception, an engine of urban transformation of this area of the city. Raised in close relation to its surroundings, the square formed by the convent of the Mother of God, the Archbishop's Palace and the facade of the Bernardine is undoubtedly one of the most attractive sets all Alcalá.
Built on the place where the martyrs were buried children Santos Justo y Pastor, this church is one of only two worldwide that have the title of 'Master', which means that all its canons were to be 'magister' of university. The present building was erected between 1497 and 1514 at the request of Cardinal Cisneros, and its architects Antón and Enrique Egas who opted for a late Gothic. Next to the market in which the cover is opened sturdy bell tower whose body is finished in Herrera style in the seventeenth century stands. Inside you can visit the Interpretive Center and Museum of the Cathedral Magistral
It was erected in the thirteenth century as a fortified palace of the Archbishops of Toledo, with successive interventions of the prelates who used to reside here for long periods. is magnified in the sixteenth century, especially during the prelature of Fonseca and Tavera will Becoming one of the most sumptuous palaces of Spain, until much of it disappeared in flames in 1939 . The Archbishop's Palace was protected by a walled enclosure that remain important as the call remains Tenorio tower in Palace Square, dating from the fourteenth century.
Oratory of St. Philip Neri
Founded in the late seventeenth century Baroque church has an elliptical dome. emphasizes its interesting library and good collection of imagery School Gregorio Fernández and Alonso Cano, and a rich legacy of paintings and objects of worship.
It is one of the few remnants that remain of the ancient parish of Santa Maria Maggiore. The chapel was founded by the 'hearer' of King John II, Don Pedro Díez de Toledo, in the fifteenth century. emphasizes the great arch of half point very stilted, with Mudejar plasterwork. In the center stack where he was baptized on October 9, 1547 Miguel de Cervantes. This room with the adjacent room are the most important exhibitions of the city.
BIRTHPLACE MUSEUM OF CERVANTES
In this house Miguel de Cervantes was born in late September or early October 1547. The property underwent an extensive restoration in 1956 in order to recreate a kind home of a wealthy family from the mid-sixteenth century, but still retains many original features including a highlight definitely cool paintings discovered in an adjoining wall. They decorate their stays an interesting collection of paintings, carvings, furniture and decorative objects from the time of Cervantes, as well as a good collection of editions, ancient and modern, of the works of Cervantes.
CERVANTES THEATRE ROOM
One of the two theaters in the city. It was erected in 1888 in a record time of 29 days. Both the facade and interior, rectangular (originally also was used as a ballroom) are a consequence of a reform carried out in 1925. Refurbished and reopened in 1989, all weekends offers a varied entertainment program.
CORRAL OF COMEDY
The Comedy Corral Corral or Shoemakers is a unique building because it is the oldest poultry documented Spain comedies. Retains important design elements that highlight his career as a place of public entertainment: comedy theater in 1601, covered coliseum in 1785, and in 1830 romantic drama movie theater until age 70. now offers a full program of theater, and is open for tours.
This exhibition hall was once the church of the former monastery of San Juan of Penance, founded by Cisneros in 1504. It is named in honor of the interview between Christopher Columbus and Isabella the Catholic in the city occurred in 1486.
Formerly known as Main Street in the Jewish Quarter. From the thirteenth century was the shopping street of Alcalá and this is the reason that arcades are almost entirely. The wood studs were replaced by stone columns in the sixteenth century, of which there are still plenty of copies, replaced by square pillars in later centuries. De pleasant walk, it highlights some good samples of houses from different eras. Next to the house of Cervantes Antezana Hospital founded in 1483 and still retains this function rises. Its courtyard with portico, is a beautiful example of civil architecture Gothic-Mudejar. In the church, we can see the chapel of San Ignacio built over the room he occupied during his stay in Alcalá and excellent carving of Our Lady of Mercy Martinez Montanes. Opposite the hospital is reached by a narrow passage into the yard of the synagogue, where he was one of the two temples that Jews possessed in Alcalá until the expulsion decree of 1492.
MUSEUM OF OUTDOOR SCULPTURES
Opened in 1993, claims to be the largest of its kind in Europe. From the gate of the walled Madrid and bordering the streets and Via Complutense Andrés Saborit enclosure fifty sculptures in which we find a variety of materials, techniques and styles arise from the figuration to cubism, abstraction or through conceptualism. Settler Urculo, Amadeo Gabino, Aizcorbe, Alberdi, Berrutti, Christopher, Bayarri, Orti, Beatriz Khon or Pepe Santander, its promoter, are some of the artists exhibited.
COMPLUTUM. House of Hippolytus
The house of Hippolytus, former College of Young Complutum musealized is the first archaeological site of the Community of Madrid and one of the few schools known in Spain Youth. Assembly, built in the late third century, stands the magnificent mosaic by the teacher musivario Hippolytus, which gives its name to the house, where we can see a fishing scene that shows a lot of Mediterranean fish.
REGIONAL ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM
Located in the former Convent of Dominican College of the Mother of God, the Regional Archaeological Museum displays archaeological collections of the Community of Madrid, from prehistoric or Roman past to industrial archeology.
PALACE OF LAREDO
Laredo Palace is a quirk of nineteenth century work of D. Manuel Laredo Mayor Alcala and architect. Built in the purest reused medieval Moorish style building elements creating an exotic and unique work. Highlights from the Castle azulejerías vintage Pedro Cifuentes I or ribbed Gothic Castle Santorcaz, decorated with portraits of the kings of Castile and on top a beautiful celestial vault. This building now houses Cisnerianos Studies Center at the University of Alcalá.
The University Chapel of the Holy Christ of Doctrinos at the end of the street Colleges. A popular architecture that links to the purest Baroque Madrid opens the way to a secluded chapel where you can admire the extraordinary Doctrinos Christ, Mannerist work of the Jesuit Sunday Beltrán, a disciple of Michelangelo, along with a fine collection of religious art from the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.
Walking around the city of Alcalá allows us to know many of the University Colleges that throughout the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries settled in the city complutense. Every corner, street or square displays a magnificent example of Baroque urbanism that characterized much of these foundations. The Jesuit College, the King, the Malaga, Dominicans, Trinitarians Basilian or Caracciolos are some that stand out for their constructive magnificence. Other, more humble, forcing the viewer to look closely, and when discovered find beautiful architecture of the sixteenth century hiding surprises as the cheers of St. Catherine of Physicists.
There were many female religious orders that settled in the city throughout the centuries. Foundations of bishops, canons or same Cardinal Cisneros, the convent became Alcalá presence in a defining element of the landscape. Convents of the sixteenth century as the Poor Clares, Úrsulas, Dominican Sisters of St. Catherine or Carmelites of the image are held in the city in humble homes but uniquely beautiful, as other seventeenth century Claras, Juanas, Bernardine or Augustinian set of more beautiful urban scenery Baroque pure taste. Walking the streets of Alcala looking closures is a real pleasure to be amazed and filled with the most demanding visitor satisfaction.